Saturday 13 February 2016

Why do I run?

Beating the blues- one mile at a time.

In January I had a eureka moment. I joined Mind's team to take on the Royal Parks half marathon.

Since I first watched the London marathon in real life I had a desire to run it - although it's only been in the last 18 months (and the last 6 months especially) that I have started to take fitness a lot more seriously. I said to myself that day, if James Argent can run a marathon than surely I can. This may seem like a strange comparison to you, however, at the time he ran I was well and truly Arg-obsessed.

9 months - surely that's enough time to get myself fit enough to get a good time? Well, I started doing more running, joined a girls only running club and in a moment of 'idontevenknow' I signed up to the Hackney Half that takes place in just 12 weeks time to give myself a not-so-distant goal to focus on.

Why?

Well, since I have taken up running I am focused on the amazing things my body can do. For example, sprinting up a hill, running 10km continuously, or having the confidence to turn up at a running club where I knew no one. 

This may not seem like a big deal to most but for someone who lacks confidence and has suffered a 10 year battle with anxiety and depression (provoked by food, body image and low self-esteem) this is in fact a very big deal. 

Instead of focusing my mind constantly on how many calories I eat, or how much my weight fluctuates between the morning and the night and letting my mood be determined on this, I am now focused on how many miles I run, or if I have had enough of the right food to run the distance. I am starting to see my body in a positive light - my legs aren't as slim as I once wanted but they sure are strong enough to get me up some steep hills, around a 10km course and hopefully a 13.1 mile  race in 3 months.

A best friend of mine, Lou has also sparked motivation within our friendship group when it comes to achieving once impossible seeming goals. Lou is a radiator - always radiating positivity, love and happiness. Most recently she has impressed us all with her motivation and determination to run this year's London Marathon as the chosen runner for the This Girl Can campaign. You can follow her journey here and see why she is a hero to us all! 

Setting myself goals has given me a sense of purpose, a release of endorphins and new found confidence that I have lacked for 26 years.

So that is why I have set myself some goals this year and have dusted off my running shoes!

Have you set yourself goals or started a new hobby this year that are helping your mindset? 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chasing Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig